The Lighter Side of Sysadm |
Ranting & Raving |
Pete's Back Yard
We make software &
system development projects better!
Here are some of the ways we've helped software R&D teams:
- Web Architecture Tools: Created lightweight toolset
to support our Unified Process-based methodology for designing software
systems from business requirements through technical specification.
Toolset generates maintainable Web architecture documents with notation
and cross-referencing of business processes, roles, scenarios, navigation,
threads, data, domain class models and three/four-tier functional
allocation. Tool supports interchange with Object-Oriented Design
(OOD) tools such as Rational Rose. The four-tier architecture of
this system reflects the Architecture of the systems it models.
Runs on Unix and NT. (For three .com start-ups and a consortium of
software architects). The toolset consists of four independent tiers:
- UI Tier, implemented in Perl, Apache and mod_perl, with
- Workflow Tier, implemented in Perl with Finite State Automata
(FSA/FSM) techniques to produce rules-based workflow specifications
for each architectural Object,
- Business Process Tier implemented in Perl-DBI, and
- DB Tier based on MySQL and DBI, with Perl and make(1)
administrative, publishing and systematic test facilities.
- Business Assessment and Product Architecture:
At the request of the Board of Directors, conducted an assessment of
the business prospects, technical readiness and key issues and risks
facing an Internet software product company experiencing a difficult
product transition. As follow-on, prepared a get-well plan and the systematic
architectural analysis of the requirements and technical foundations
of the next generation of the company's product line.
- Web Business System Analysis and Architecture: Requirements analysis, system architecture, project planning and proposal generation for Internet and Intranet sites in various industry areas including computer sales, travel, shipping, computer dating, industrial lighting and insurance.
- Perl Web Tools: CGI, automated site administration, server log data reduction, artificial databases for static load testing.
- Electronic Products Architecture and System Design: Member of architecture staff for new generation of electronic products for providing financial services. Wrote architecture specification and tools for business systems analysis.
- Web Application Architecture Analysis: Analyzed existing product line of Internet software products and wrote working drafts of White Paper describing the architectural principles of the product line.
- Operating System Software Supportability Analysis: Wrote toolset to analyze various classes of dependencies among Solaris operating system packages. The tools allow data to be gathered and cleaned from a variety of sources -- installation contents files, existing and experimental package prototype files, shared library relationships discovered by ldd, manpages and output from makes of the core operating system. This data set is correlated with information from operational databases containing bug, integration and patch data. The cleaned data are placed on databases from which current and retrospective reports of dependency effects are produced [perl, make].
- Web-based Automated Product Documentation: Wrote document system to produce an HTML-based programmer's reference set for a pre-release software product. It drew current syntax, parameter information and examples directly from the product's yacc++ files, header files, C++ application source files and test suites. It automatically cross-referenced and indexed the volumes, then translated everything to HTML for an internal R&D organization Web page [perl, make].
- Quality Assurance Automation: Built regression test harness and test suite modules for multi-platform/multi-database products [Atria, C, C++, csh, make, perl]. Wrote tools to construct artificial databases and load test scenarios for a client-server database product [XRunner/LoadRunner test script languages, perl, C].
- Management: Served in various acting management roles for start-up software companies: VP Engineering, Director of Quality Assurance, Director of Product Support, Director of Engineering Planning. Served on architectural review board to assess existing product testability/supportability issues and make recommendations to R&D group and top management. Conducted product release schedule/commitment/crisis reviews and subsequent replanning.
What experience can Stokely
Consulting offer you?
WWW and conventional software system architecture, project assessments, product R&D development and planning, software tool evaluations, analysis of product quality and support issues, creation of development and release methodologies. Implementation of defect-tracking systems, test harness and test suites. Automated documentation systems, authoring of initial documentation sets for new software products, document and data conversion.
Twenty-five years of experience in the software industry; practicing in the Silicon Valley since 1983. Extensive knowledge of software start-up environments, rapid incremental development methodologies, project planning, development, documentation, quality and support. Fluent in Perl.
You can also see a Pete Stokely's architecture, analysis and development experience and his
quality assurance and automation experience.
Call Peter Stokely at Stokely Consulting or send email to Peter Stokely today to get those projects started right away!
Stokely Consulting, http://www.stokely.com
Email: Celeste Stokely |
163 14th Trail, Unit B, Cotopaxi CO 81223, (719) 942-3621
Copyright © 2013 Stokely Consulting. All rights reserved.